Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Background of Griffin (Irish Jumper)

Griffin Gallagher son of Eric & Celine Gallagher.

I can never remember my childhood. It was as if I never had one. As I sit and watch videos of my childhood nothing came to memory. I was three when my parents witnessed my dis-appearance from the dinning room table where I was blowing out my candles to the lounge room floor. It was from that day onwards my parents could not make or break what had become of me. Celine Gallagher asked “What the bollocks just happened?” Eric Gallagher replies “I dunno lov” “Has it happened before?” mum asked, “No not with me” dad replies. “So what the heck are we suppose to do?”
As I watched on I saw mother starting to neglect me, she would ask my father “I hope you haven’t fed that thing today?” My father had no other choice but to say “no” although knowing he already had just to avoid conflict with mother. My father could no longer handle the pain of not being able to love his only son or show affection that he started to drink excessively. Dad was always around but never sober enough to hold me or father me, when mother was not around. I had no sisters or brothers, so I had a very lonely upbringing which is probably partly why I don’t remember anything of my childhood. I grew up without ever knowing my parents. I could never understand why/how I became what I did.
On October the 31st 2007 it was a cold winter’s morning when I had my first encounter with Roland. I did not know who he was or what he wanted. Roland confronted me on my way home and said to me “I know what you can do” I replied “I don’t know what you’re talking about” “You know there aren’t very many of you that can do what you do and soon enough you will all be extinct.” I knew then I had to run for my life. I was trying to run as fast as I could but Roland kept zapping me with his tazer.
He almost killed me in the alley way that day. Luckily I had my pepper spray & I escaped with a cut on the side of my neck. Since then I have made it my mission to find out who they are, why they wanted us dead and to destroy them. Over extensive research I discovered that we (jumpers) had been around since medieval times and that ‘Paladins’ were a cult that has been chasing my kind for centuries.
At the age of fifteen I understood the full capacity of my capabilities and decided to move from my hometown of New Hampshire in Ireland and make ‘BASE’ in the desert, where I plan to conquer the Paladins.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What detailed background of Griffin!!! Now we know where he's coming. As in the movie, not much was said about his background, the only thing we know it's that he's Irish. And it's quite bizzard that both Griffin's & David's mothers are portrayed as the 'bad guys'...conincidence or may be his mum is a Paladin too!!! Another possible plot to develope if we want to go down that path. Well done Jo ^_^

Anonymous said...

I thought the background blog you wrote for your character really did fit with the character in movie, like how Griffin never answered questions about his parents that David asked him, could take that as a sign that maybe he doesn't want to remember his past hence subconsciously he doesn't remember anything about his childhood.

And the bit where it tells about how he first jumped blowing out his birthday candles kind of suggests that he wished to be someplace else and that’s where he jumped to, since when you blow out birthday candles you’re told to make a wish when you blow out your birthday candles.

Nice touch by the way with the whole Irish accent makes it even more believable

annie said...

On the movie, the character Griffin fitted in with the background description that was posted. I was thinking that Griffin had a more dramatic childhood. But anyways, this sounds really good. Having to meet with Roland for the first time and being able to fight him off right there, to me sounds incredible. Because you would have thought that Roland was an experienced Paladin that knew what Jumpers could do, be prepared to take them down using their weak spots, know every trick they had in stored and destroy them right there and then.

What the Mother did to Griffin was so evil. Having found out that Griffin is a jumper at such a young age made her feel angry? Why? Was she a Paladin herself?

DeathGetsUsAll_Someday said...

I think you did a great job creating a history for Griffin, and explaining a lot of his motivations. I was just wondering if you've read Griffin's Story, the book, and decided to go another direction, or do you not know about it? It follows Griffin from an early age up until close to the start of the movie. (Book is modeled after the movie, so if you're sticking to the original story, it's probably not relevant.) Anyway, just wanted to let you know!