Tuesday, March 25, 2008

David Rice

Imagine having the freedom to be anywhere you wanted? Be invincible from everyone? But at the same time alienating yourself from those who mattered most in your life?



Welcome to my life. I'm David Rice. I have this gift, well if you can call it that, I have the ability to teleport to wherever I want anywhere in the world. How is this possible? I was born this way and as a result its cost me risking losing those who are close to me in the past. My mother left me and my father when I was five. And most of my life I always wondered why, why would she leave? I just couldn't wrap my head around it, but now it's starting to make sense to me. After so long I got the chance to see my mother again, but it wasn't the way I had imagined. Neither had I imagined that she had left to protect me.



She was part of the Paladins clan, who had been trying at their level best to get rid of me in the past couple of weeks. My encounters with them, particularly the oh-so-righteous Roland, led me to believe that maybe my mother abandoning me after she realised I was a Jumper was the best thing she could do, after all she would have had no choice but to kill me as she has sworn her loyalty to the Paladins who found it their job to destroy Jumpers like me because they believed only God had the right to go wherever he pleased.



I hadn't realised that I wasn't the only one with such powers to teleport. It turns out I'm not the only Jumper in the world, and here I was thinking I was something special. Griffin and Trish were too. But it was Griffin who brought the reality of the situation to me but he didn't exactly do it subtly.



Millie was another part of my life I had lost when I had decided to run away from home at the age of 15. Trying to rekindle what we had when we were 15 was proving too hard, not to mention with the extra pressure of running from people who were trying to kill you and those who were close to you. But I knew I had to make it up to her for leaving the first time and ontop of that being dishonest about who and what I really was at the beginning of our relationship. I don't know what I was thinking but she was eventually going to find out about my teleportation, pity she found out the hard way which I regret.



And that's why getting Roland back was my main priority. He was not going to get to any one close to me just so he can get to me. Since his escape from the Grand Canyon I'm determined to make sure he never is a part of my life again. This time I wasn't fighting this alone, joining forces with other Jumpers was the first step to making sure that the Paladins are destroyed. They were going to get the message loud and clear.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I reckon your background goes well with mine. It has the same flow of what follows after David's mum left him and his father whne he was five. And it also laid down the story line of what's to come later e.g. destroying Roland and the other Paladins. I can't wait to work on the narrative after our online role play chat yesterday ^_^

LilFiNz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LilFiNz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LilFiNz said...

I like that your opening statement of "Imagine having the freedom to be anywhere you wanted?" It grabs the readers attention. Encourages them to rad on to. "Be invincible from everyone?" Enabling the reader to fantasise of what kind of experience it could be. "But at the same time alienating yourself from those who mattered most in your life?" Also stating the pros and cons, this could bring this & this but also comes this.

It is very interesting to read elaborating on the character of 'David Rice' what he was & what he has become. What he is trying to do (rekindle his relationship with his lover Millie) as well as trying to find the truth about his mother.

Two thumbs up from me... LilFiNz...

annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
annie said...

Awesome! David Rice sure did go through a lot of things...especially with his father, William Rice. I can imagine having being stuck with your father and him not knowing what to do is really scary. If the Mother isn’t there, then take that role for future benefits! William should have taken advantage of the David being a Jumper. Make David take him places that he has been wanting to go to for years.

The mother having to make a decision to stay and have David killed or leave to keep him alive, would have been the hardest decision to make. At the end, she leaves with no clue for David and William of her whereabouts, leaving both of them depressed. What a drama it would have been if she told them that she was leaving because David is a Jumper.