Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Roland's Life

Roland: BAWK BAWK! These were the few words that I had to yell to the people walking past Church’s Chicken. The only good thing about the job, was that I had to wear a large chicken suit and no one saw me, no matter who they were. I didn’t want to shame myself. I eventually got sick of the job because the manager was being unfair with my pay, so I quit. I was searching through the internet and found an advertisement wanting new Paladins. They had a description of what they wanted. I actually fitted in with they wanted, so I applied for the job and got it.

My name is Roland. I am a Paladin. Paladins destroy Jumpers. Jumpers are people who have the ability to appear from one place to another just by thinking about it. They existed from the medieval times. It is not that I am jealous, it is the fact that only God that should have the authority alone to appear in all places at one time. I destroy Jumpers by attaching them to a wall with wires that has at least 200 watts travelling through them. This will not allow them to jump anymore. I then murder them using the one and only weapon I carry with me, my handy and trusting – dagger, wrapped in a nylon like cloth to keep the dagger safe. I drive this dagger up their rib cage area.

The last time I met a Jumper was 5 years ago. David Rice was his name. He was the one who got me stuck here on the Grand Canyon and is still waiting on my fellow paladins to come and rescue me. I am proud to be a paladin because it is my passion. It is my life and I do it for the grace of God, but there is also a personal reason to why I want Jumpers dead. I have tracked and destroyed more Jumpers than any of my colleagues. I understand that one of my colleagues is the mother of David Rice and that she will not be able to destroy him herself if I set her to it. The love for her son is what is keeping him alive.

Rice has an Irish friend, Griffin. Griffin has been tracking down Paladins ever since he was old enough, to destroy them. He has been tracking me down for the past 10 years and has never caught me yet. Now that he knows that I am on the Grand Canyon with no gear whatsoever to destroy any paladins, I believe this is the way I will die. He has killed more than 20 of our paladins and are asking for more people to join.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I can really feel the hate in Roland towards the Jumpers!!! And your background also hints that the story will get more violent & bloody (yeah we like that, hehehe). Another point that gets me thinking is the mentioning of 'God'...does the Paladin clan has some secret connection with the old Roman church in Vatican? I'm so thrilled there are so many possible plots that we can create from writting this fanfic ^_^

LilFiNz said...

The genre style of this in my opinion is almost like an advertisement. In the sense that the first paragraph talks bout how he didnt like his job & after quitting he comes across an advertisement for a Paladin position. In the second paragraph it states an emotion in a relational process. "I had to wear a large chicken suit and no one saw me,...." Narrator encodes that he didnt like what he was doing for a living and in hiding behind the big chicken suit it was ok because no-one could really recognise him.
The text ends with the sentence, "He has killed more than 20 of our paladins and are asking for more people to join." which is a mental process of an idea for readers to join this group of Paladins. Reading in between the lines "WE ARE HIRING"

Anonymous said...

I love the description Roland uses to say how he kills Jumpers, it's really intense but at the same time gruesome, love it!

He sounds like he's a man on a mission which he is and he's just interested in getting down to business.

I get the sense that may Roland is a hypocrit,because he mentions God and his beliefs on why Paladins should be destroyed, but I highly doubt that it would be what God would want?? People killing other people? Or maybe Roland saw it as some sort of sacrifice in order to honour God?? Hmm

LilFiNz said...

I do agree with Alby. There are so many places we can go with this. It is EXCELLENT. The only thing is where to start & how to establish it???